Just as the popularity of Twilight series made vampires popular and produced some quality genre examples (True blood), The Walking Dead generated a resurgence of zombies – at least, on TV. I don’t like zombies bashing or any violence, but some of the recent theme variations a worth a try.
Recommended to me by Netflix:
iZombie: 2 seasons, 3d pending
Splatter strength: 5/10
If Z nation faithfully follows genre canon or cliche, iZombie subverts it. A flare-up of zombie – a result of another evil corporation’s action. The quirkiness of the series reflected in that the villain is not a not pharmaceutical but energy drink company. The flare-up doesn’t lead to an all out zombie apocalypse.
Refreshingly, the main character, a junior medic called Liv, who couldn’t be any cuter if she was a werekitten, is a good zombie, who eats only dead people’s brains and, having flashbacks of their memories prior their violent demise, helps to solve crimes. Lotsa of post-modern humour, the late twenties, ‘How I met your mother’ multicultural cast.
- The virus spreads via a zombie scratch and bite. Definitely not airborne. Incubation period – 6+ hours, gradual appearance of symptoms.
- Vaccine – in progress. A successful rat trial, ongoing human trials.
- I like the neuroscience connection – there’s some logic in assimilating people’s memories after eating their brains, though I doubt the detailed memories would still exist in half-rotten tissues.
Z nation: 1 season, but two more exist
Splatter strength: 8/10
A straightforward zombie apocalypse story with a group of survivors accompanying a vaccine survivor to a military base. Evil corporations, lawless gangs, etc. but the characters ring true, seemingly main characters killed off mercilessly – as decreed by George R. R. Martin – enough of humour and action to be interesting. NSA surveillance as a force for good is unusual as well. The narrative flags a little in the season middle, notably in the E9 “Die, Zombie, Die… Again” and I dislike emerging magic connotations, but still watchable.
- The virus spreads via a zombie bite. Incubation period – several seconds.
- Strangely, alive persons are not infected via the air but people who died infected and became zombies immediately. Also oddly, people don’t even flinch from zombies’ biological liquids spraying around.
- Vaccine – in progress, human trials.